Why Triple Offset? The benefits of Triple Offset Butterfly Valves
Triple Offset Butterfly Valves are essential in applications where bubble-tight shut off is required. In some applications, bubble-tight shut off cannot be achieved using double offset butterfly valves. Some applications do not lend themselves well to traditional butterfly valves, for example applications involving harsh chemicals or media with small particles prone to clogging valves and pipelines. In such applications, Triple Offset Technology offers superior benefits.
What exactly is Triple Offset Technology
A Triple Offset Butterfly Valve has 3 separate offsets. Two of the offsets apply to the location of the shaft in respect to the centerline of the bore and the centerline of the disc/seat sealing surfaces. The third offset is the design in the axis of the seat cone angle.
Zero Offset: Disc rotates around the centre axis allowing for a potential 360º rotation. Sealing is achieved by the Disc deforming the soft seal resulting in full friction through the full operating cycle.
Double Offset: To allow displacement of the seat the shaft is offset from the centre line of the disc seat and body seal (offset one), and the centre line of the bore (offset two). This creates a cam action during operation to lift the seat out of the seal resulting in friction during the first 10 degrees of opening and final 10 degrees of closing.
Triple Offset: The third offset is the geometry design of the sealing components. The sealing components are each machined into an offset conical profile resulting in a right-angled cone. This ensures friction free stroking throughout its operating cycle. Contact is only made at the final point of closure with the 90° angle acting as a mechanical stop; resulting in no over-travel of the disc seat.
The benefits of Triple Offset Technology
- ‘Cam-action’ and ‘right angled' conical sealing design ensures that the metal sealing components are never in contact until its final degree of closing – this results in repeatable sealing and a vastly extended valve life.
- Metal-to-Metal sealing ensures bubble tight shut-off, resulting in zero-leakage performance
- Suitability to harsh media – construction of the valve features no elastomers or materials typically affected by corrosion
- Geometric design of sealing components provides friction-free stroking throughout the valve. This extends the valve life and allows a lower torque-actuator to be fitted.
- There are no cavities between sealing components, resulting in no clogging, low maintenance and extended valve life.
Hobbs Valve Limited
Hobbs Valve are UK based and are at the forefront of innovation, designing and manufacturing high performance Triple Offset Butterfly Valves for the global Industries of Oil and Gas, Chemical, Petrochemical, Nuclear, Marine and Power.
Get the latest process industry news
Interested in receiving even more industry-leading news from Process Industry Forum delivered directly to your inbox? Then sign up to our free newsletter. Bringing you the latest news, trends, innovations and opinion from across the process industry, our exclusive newsletter gives you all the industry insights of the moment in one, easy-to-digest bulletin. Stay ahead of the competition with regular process industry news instalments from PIF.