Rounding up the key events & developments for the Process Industry in 2013
As 2013 draws to a close, PIF takes a look back at some of the standout moments of this year for the Process Industry and engineering in general.
- Process Industry Forum was born - providing a global online platform to share technical solutions and transform PI stakeholder engagement.
- UCAS revealed an 8.4% increase in applications to study engineering, plus engineering and advanced manufacturing apprenticeships rose by more than 85% over the last two years, according to Semta.
- UK government and industry announced £200 million of investment to strengthen manufacturing supply chains, creating 11,000 new jobs and safeguarding 5,000 more.
- BAE Systems announced plans to recruit nearly 400 engineering and business apprentices across the UK in 2013 - its highest intake since 2008.
- World Wide Web pioneers Robert Kahn, Vinton Cerf, Louis Pouzin, Tim Berners-Lee and Marc Andreessen won the £1 million Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering.
- Land Rover launched the world’s first nine-speed automatic transmission for a passenger car at the Geneva motor show
- Hitachi Rail Europe and Merchant Place Developments signed an £82m contract to build the next generation of British Intercity trains in Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.
The Airbus A350, made up of fuel-efficient lightweight carbon-fibre, took off for its maiden flight from Toulouse.
The Brazil Offshore International Conference and Fair, for the oil and gas sector, returned for its biannual visit to Macaé.
- Schneider Electric buys out Invensys with a £3.4bn takeover, provoking rumblings of job cuts from the French group.
- Bentley announced £800 million of investment and 1,000 new jobs at its Crewe headquarters to produce their new Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV).
- Edwards Group, the UK vacuum pump manufacturer, was bought out by Swedish giant Atlas Copco; in a takeover worth up to £1 billion.
- Engineers from 26 nations completed the parbuckling of the stricken Costa Concordia at a cost of more than £500m.
- RWM 2013, Europe’s leading resource efficiency and waste management exhibition, gave visitors an insight into the industry’s most pressing issues.
- SPE Offshore Europe 2013, Europe’s leading offshore exhibition for the oil and gas industry, took place at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre.
- Process Expo invited food manufacturers to descend on Chicago for the US’ largest trade show event dedicated strictly to the food and beverage industry.
- Sensors & Instrumentation Exhibition once again showcased the latest in instrumentation solutions at the NEC, Birmingham.
- Emerson Process Management acquired safety and environmental control equipment leaders Enardo LLC.
- Alexander Bell topped an IET poll of the greatest British engineers of all time.
- PCVExpo, one of the biggest events in Russia and Europe, brought together producers and consumers of industrial pumps, compressors, pneumatics, valves, actuators, engines and seals.
- EDF Energy rolled out plans for the new £16bn Hinkley Point nuclear power station and Hitachi forged ahead with proposed Horizon plants at Wylfa and Oldbury.
- The HS2 Bill for high-speed rail came before UK government amid budget, viability and environmental concerns and will rumble on well into 2014 and beyond.
- International Water Week welcomed Water Industry experts, and more than 800 Aquatech exhibitors, to Amsterdam during the first week of November.
- BAE Systems axed 1,775 UK shipbuilding jobs, including 940 jobs in Portsmouth and 835 in Glasgow, Rosyth and Filton, near Bristol.
- Samsung Heavy Industries finished the world’s largest, most powerful wind turbine (196m, 7MW capacity) at the Fife Energy Park, Scotland.
- EADS, the defence and aerospace giant, announced 6,000 job losses Europe-wide to reduce costs.
- The biannual Chem Show brought delegates from across the Chemical Process Industries (CPI) to New York to showcase and witness the latest technologies.
Here at PIF, we wish you a Happy Christmas and hope you have had a excellent year filled with advancements, innovations and success!
Get the latest process industry news
Interested in receiving even more industry-leading news from Process Industry Forum delivered directly to your inbox? Then sign up to our free newsletter. Bringing you the latest news, trends, innovations and opinion from across the process industry, our exclusive newsletter gives you all the industry insights of the moment in one, easy-to-digest bulletin. Stay ahead of the competition with regular process industry news instalments from PIF.